This twenty-year-old is ready to conquer the world. Sort of.
Let me conquer the City of Lights first.

Thursday, February 16, 2006

french and food, funny how they go together!

Salut!

School started this week and can officially call myself a Sorbonne student. I am now on a hunt for a Sorbonne sweatershirt to wear so I can display my school spirit (too bad I have a Maryland one in pretty much every color). Anyway, eventually I'm going to be taking 4 different classes: French Grammar, French Phonetics, Paris and the Economic and Social Geography of France. BUT Phonetiqcs doesn't until March 6 and the other two don't start until February 23rd.

So right now I just have my one grammar class that meets everyday for 2 hours. Let me tell you, it's weird not to have powerpoint slides to copy (even if i am often unsuccessful), to actually be required to participate instead of being lectured to, and to study something non-business related. The grammar class is really indepth. For example, today we discussed five different verbs to describe the action of talking (to talk, to say, to discuss, to dispute, to chat) and learned 10 different phrases for each (to talk to someone, to talk with someone, to talk about something, to talk on the subject of, to talk without thinking, to speak well, to speak a language, to speak loudly). It's a little overwhelming and a little mundane at the same time, but really, that's how you learn a language, right?

The other thing that I often think about is how Russian and English are languages that I speak and write without thinking. When I hear them in passing I don't have to think about their meaning - I just know what is being said. I really don't know if I'll ever be able to reach that level of fluency. Really, the only way to do it is to move to France permanetly, but to somewhere where English is not well known as it is in Paris.

Okay, the other adventure of the week is that I've begun attempting to cook. I've almost mastered pasta and fish nuggets and now I've moved onto scrambled eggs which I made today. I obviously took pictures. The point of telling you all this is not to bore you, but to ask for EASY, QUICK, CHEAP, EDIBLE recipes from all of you. I know a lot of you live on your own or at least have some experience cooking for yourself. Please, please, please send me any and all recipes (but please be specific because I really am a dumbass in the kitchen).

Anyway, I have two more minutes on the computer. :( HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! (On the 14th, I went out to a bar called "FUBAR" which apparently stands for "fucked up beyond all recognition" (those who were on birthright with me, remember when we went to Fubar in Eilat???))

I love you all and miss you more than you could ever know. I finally put some pictures up in my room so now I get to see all your lovely faces everyday!!

Peace,

Julie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home